Monday, September 19, 2016

Making a Faux Pas Work: Navy and Black

Wearing dark blue with black is a fashion no-no.... or at least it used to be. However, I really wanted to wear these navy skinny pants with this top, which does have both navy and black in it. I was originally going to try blue shoes and a navy blazer, but opted for black because of the black cap sleeves on the top (the black shoes bring the outfit together better). The blazer was also not an exact match to the pants and, in my eyes, it's worse to wear two shades of one dark color than black with navy. For jewelry, I tried to go with the print on the top and wore gunmetal spiky earrings and a gunmetal bracelet that has a similar design to the pattern. For makeup, I wore dark blue and black shadows and kept to gold lip gloss for a nude look-- if I had worn bright lips with this dark eye shadow, it would have been overkill. Hair: I wore it twisted half back for a dressier look.

Top: birthday gift a few years ago
Blazer: ?
Pants: H&M, $17
Shoes: end of season clearance, Charlotte Russe or Alloy: approx. $9
Bracelet: given to me by Aunt
Earrings: Burlington Coat Factory, 3-prs, $5
Makeup: all Ulta; eye-shadow pallet: free in makeup kit with min. purchase




Blog Archive